Full Programme (Degree)
For undergraduate programs
International students interested in pursuing their undergraduate studies at IIT Bombay i.e. B.Tech., Dual Degree & 5-year Integrated M.Sc. programs, have to appear for the Joint Entrance Examination conducted by the IITs. For more details, please visit: https://jeeadv.ac.in/foreign.html
For admission to the 2 year M.Sc. and M.Sc.-Ph.D. Dual Degree programs
International students interested in pursuing these programs have to appear for the Joint Admission Test for M.Sc. conducted by the IITs. For more details, please visit: http://jam.iitb.ac.in
For other postgraduate programs
International students can seek admission to various Postgraduate and Research Programmes (M.Tech., M.B.A., M.Des., & Ph.D.), under the following categories:
- Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) Scholarship (Government of India)
- Study in India (SII) (Government of India)
- Doctoral-fellowship in India for ASEAN (DIA) (Government of India)
- Foreign Government Sponsorships
- Self-financing Students
Students seeking admission in any one of the aforesaid categories will have to satisfy the minimum eligibility criteria for admission to the programmes as prescribed by the Institute. But merely fulfilling the minimum eligibility criteria does not guarantee the selection of a candidate into any program.
The Academic Rules & Regulations applicable to Indian students with regard to eligibility and evaluation are applicable to International Students also, as outlined in the brochures (please see: http://www.iitb.ac.in/newacadhome/toadmission.jsp)
Admission Procedure for postgraduate programmes (M.Tech., M.B.A., M.Des., & Ph.D.)
Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) Scholarship (Government of India)
Candidates desirous of admission under this Fellowship Programme are required to apply through the Indian High Commission/Embassy as the case may be, in their respective Countries. They will send the application to ICCR, Government of India and then ICCR will forward the application/s to the Academic Office at IIT Bombay for consideration. In case the candidate is found suitable for admission, an offer letter will be sent to him/her through ICCR, New Delhi.
For more details, please visit the website of ICCR: http://a2ascholarships.iccr.gov.in/home/getAllSchemeList
Study in India (SII) Scholarship (Government of India)
The Study in India (SII) program has designed a framework to award scholarships and tuition fee waivers for meritorious students applying for Master’s or Ph.D. programs at IIT Bombay.
Candidates desirous of admission under this scholarship programme are required to apply on the SII portal and also at the IITB portal.
For more details, please visit the website of SII: https://studyinindia.gov.in/scholarship-and-fee-waivers
Doctoral-fellowship in India for ASEAN (DIA) (Government of India)
There is a special scheme for scholars from ASEAN countries to apply for PhD fellowships in IITs. The scheme aims to strengthen the deep and historical relations between India and ASEAN countries. Applicants may apply online and the selected ones will get a chance to finish their PhD with funding at par with their Indian counterparts from the Government of India. The funding includes a monthly stipend and an annual research grant for up to 5 years of their PhD programme.
Candidates desirous of admission under this Fellowship programme are required to apply on the DIA for ASEAN portal: https://ecampus.iitd.ac.in/ASEAN/login and also at the IITB portal.
For more details, please visit the website of ASEAN: https://asean-iit.in/
Foreign Government Sponsorships
The application should be submitted to the Academic Office at IIT Bombay, either by the candidate or the sponsoring authority. In case the candidate is found suitable for admission, an offer letter will be sent to him/her or the sponsoring authority (as applicable).
The International Students, who wish to join under Self-finance Category, are required to submit their applications to the Academic Office at IIT Bombay. These applications are scrutinized by the respective departments of IIT Bombay. In case the applicant is found suitable for admission, an offer letter will be sent to him/her from the Academic Office, IIT Bombay.
(1) The competent Committees of the Departments are the ultimate decision makers in accepting the students.
(2) Students interested in pursuing the M.B.A. degree should directly contact the Head of SJM School of Management ( , ) for the application process.
International students are required to submit following documents
- Application form. (Apply online: https://portal.iitb.ac.in/intadm/login)
- Personal particulars of Foreign Scholars coming to India. (in pdf/doc)
- Bio-Data / Curriculum vitae / Resume.
- Copy of the grade transcripts with the explanation of the assigned grades. (Certified English translation is required, if the document is in other language)
- Statement of purpose.
- Two/Three recommendation letters – at least one recommendation should be about the student’s academic performance issued by a faculty member.
- Documentary proof to illustrate fluency in English language. (Any ONE of the following)
- A note on mark sheets or a letter from the home university stating that the medium of instruction is English; OR
- A document from the University/English language instructor/a national agency, indicating the proficiency level of English as suitable for Tertiary education; OR
- A pass in any ONE of the following tests will be required:
- The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), administered by the Educational Testing Service in the US, in which scores of at least 580 overall and 4.0 in the Test of Written English are required. The computer based test requires scores of at least 240 overall and 4.0 in essay writing. The internet based test requires scores of at least 95 overall with a minimum score of 20 in writing.
- The International English Language Testing Service (IELTS) test, administered by the British Council, in which scores of 6 or more in each section and an overall score of 6.5 are required.
- Duolingo score (of 115).
Test scores more than two years old will generally not be accepted for consideration.
- Copy of the passport. (page showing your nationality and personal details)
- Financial undertaking:
"Applicants applying only under Self-finance category need to submit a copy of applicant's bank statement showing a balance of at least US$10000 (in case of the 2 year post-graduate program) or US$20000 (in case of a Ph.D. program)".
Fee structure for Full time Postgraduate programmes (M.Tech., M.B.A., M.Des.) & Ph.D. programmes for Foreign Nationals is available at the Institute website http://www.iitb.ac.in/newacadhome/toadmission.jsp
(applicable w.e.f. Spring semester of the Academic year 2022-23)
The institute reserves the right to revise the fee structure in subsequent semesters.
Mode of Payment of Fees
Through Cash/ Online transfer. The fee structure & details for online payment will be shared along with the offer letter.
In cases where the fees are being wire transferred to IIT Bombay by the sponsoring institution, the full amount of the fees should be credited to the Institute. Bank charges, if any, should be borne by the sender.
A very limited number of tuition fee waivers may be given to exceptionally brilliant Doctoral students. The candidate may get in touch with the Heads of the corresponding Departments about the tuition fee waiver policy.
|Semester||Degree Programme||Application Deadline (every year)|
|Autumn||M.Tech., M.B.A., M.Des., and Ph.D.||1 January - 31 March|
|Spring||Ph.D.||1 September - 31 October|
Where to Apply: https://portal.iitb.ac.in/intadm/login
For queries, please send an email at