Students at all levels (undergraduate as well as post graduate), irrespective of nationality, but registered for a degree in an Institute abroad, will be considered as international students under the category of ‘Visiting Students’ and shall pay the fees applicable to this category of students.
Under Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) / not under Memorandum of Understanding (Non MoU):
A visiting student can carry out course work at IIT Bombay for a semester or spend upto a maximum of two semesters. There is no limitation on the duration of project work that can done at IITB.
Admission of students under the MoU category will be made in accordance with the terms and conditions outlined in the MoU between IITB and the concerned Institute. For the list of institutions with whom IITB has entered into MoUs, seeThe list of the institutions with whom IITB has entered into MoUs is available at :- Click Here
Students seeking admission will have to satisfy the minimum eligibility criteria for admission to the programmes as prescribed by the Institute. But merely fulfilling the minimum eligibility criteria does not guarantee the selection of a candidate into any program.
Documents required :
(Application will be processed only on submission of all the requisite documents within the application deadline)
1) Application form. Click Here
2) Study plan (in case of course work *)
3) Copy of the grade transcripts with the explanation of the assigned grades. (Certified English translation is required, if the document is in other language).
4) A statement of purpose from the student
5) Bio Data / Curriculum Vitae / Resume.
6) A signed undertaking from the student on plain paper wherein they certify that they will bear all the charges including the tuition and administrative fees, accommodation, health related expenses, food charges and all other incidental charges during the course of their stay at IIT Bombay.
7) Personal Particulars of Foreign Scholars coming to India. (Click Here)
8) A Bonafide certificate from the Home University certifying that you are the student of the University & they have no objection in your studying at IIT Bombay. If being sent under the MoU, the home university should clearly state that you are being nominated under the existing MoU.
9) Two recommendation letters from the faculty members.
10) Documentary proof to illustrate fluency in English language.
If English is not the first language or language of medium of instruction (during secondary & higher education), a pass in any of the following two tests will be required:-
1. The Test of English as a foreign language (TOEFL), administered by the Educational Testing Service in the US, in which scores of at least 580 overall and 4.0 in the Test of Written English are required. The computer based test requires scores of at least 240 overall and 4.0 in essay writing. The internet based test requires scores of at least 95 overall with a minimum score of 20 in writing.
2. The International English Language Testing Service(IELTS) test, administered by the British Council, in which scores of 6 or more in each section and an overall score of 6.5 are required.
Test scores more than two years old will not be accepted for consideration.
11) Copy of the passport (page showing your nationality and personal details)
1. Minimum & Maximum Credit requirements at IIT Bombay: Minimum no. of credits to be taken in a semester – 15 credits Maximum no. of credits that can be taken in a semester - 40 credits Grade card will be issued only if the student has registered accordingly and has appeared for the exams.
2. Credit structure at IIT Bombay: Refer pg. no. 7 at: http://www.iitb.ac.in/newacadhome/BTech2011-201211Jan.pdf
3. Grading pattern at IIT Bombay: Refer pg. nos. 24 – 26 at: http://www.iitb.ac.in/newacadhome/BTech2011-201211Jan.pdf
4. Link to course catalogue: http://www.iitb.ac.in/asc/Courses
|1||Course work fees/Project work fees under MoU category||No fees charged|
|2||Course work fees under non MoU category||INR 5,000 per credit|
|3||Project fees under Non – MoU category||INR 10,000 per month|
INR 7,000 per month(Additional days of stay will be charged as INR 1000 per day)
|5||Administration fees||INR 15,000 per semester for students doing course work and/ or project work.|
|6||Library deposit||INR 10,000 (Optional)|
|7||Semester Mess advance
Mess Security Deposit
# All fees are subject to revision from time to time. A semester is considered to be a period of 4 months or less
Mode of Payment of fees :
Fees listed under A), B) and C):- Demand Draft in favour of “Registrar, IIT Bombay”.
Fees under D):- Indian Rupees:- Cash
In cases where the fees are being wire transferred to IIT Bombay by the sponsoring institution, the full amount of the fees should be credited to the Institute. Bank charges, if any, should be borne by the sender.
A very limited number of tuition fee waivers may be given to exceptionally brilliant Doctoral students. The candidate may get in touch with the Heads of the corresponding Departments about the tuition fee waiver policy.
Application deadlines :
For course work
|Autumn Semester (July – November)||31st March (every year)|
|Spring Semester (January – April)||30th September (every year)|
For project work :
Applications will be accepted throughout the year. But the applications should be sent to us at least 2 months prior to the expected date of start of the project.
Application documents should be emailed to : Ms Sushma Jagtap, Email: email@example.com